www.HyperSmash.com

Saturday, January 3, 2009

What's good for the goose is good for the gander

I have heard this saying many times growing up. As a matter of fact I have heard a lot of odd colloquialisms growing up in Pennsylvania Dutch Country, but today this saying about geese and gander seems to ring true.



I am often confused by liberals who call for strong gun control and the abolition of the 2nd Amendment, but then turn around and talk about increased police forces and power. The picture above, taken from http://www.a-human-right.com/, just about sums it up. The reason why the mass public is the same reason why the police have guns. There are bad people who want to do bad things to you. Some of my favorite blog writers can attest to this fact just by the work they do and the experiences they have had.

The difference between the public and the police is that when the shit hits the fan I have to call the police and hope they arrive in time, whereas if I am armed I can instantly defend myself. In some places police response time can range from seconds to agonizingly long minutes, but no matter the response time you must still waste precious seconds fumbling with your phone to call the police, and then you must explain to the 911 operator what is happening, and hope he/she gets it right. And finally police will be dispatched and hopefully they are close enough to arrive in time to save your life, or at least catch the bad guy as he leaves your house. I much prefer the alternative option. Arm yourself, stay in a safe place, and if you have to defend yourself you will know that in a matter of seconds you can expel enough lead to stop the threat. When seconds count, a bullet will always move faster than a police cruiser, or an officer on foot. 911 does have a place in my scenario, you may have time to call them before you have to defend yourself, but if you are sitting in your living room and some guy kicks your door down, explaining the situation to an operator is not an option. 911 will be called after the altercation, even if you do not have to shoot a bad guy, because you will want some sort of report on file, just in case the guy comes back.

Some people will tell me that it is the job of a police officer to protect my life. I call bullshit on that. It is not the job of another to keep me alive. I take responsibility for my life because no one can ensure my protection better than I can. If it is indeed the job of an officer to protect me, than one would be assigned to me, and standing at the ready over my shoulder as I write these words. And if it were the job of an officer to protect my life, than are they legally responsible if someone harms me?

Police officers carrying guns for a reason. They know that a gun may be a necessary tool in order to save their lives. Like gun owners, police officers hope to never have to take another human life with their weapons, but they also know that if they should ever need to protect themselves they have the tools to do so. Ask a police officer to walk around with only pepper spray, or only a pocket knife and they will kindly tell you where to go. Likewise, it is unreasonable to expect law abiding citizens to walk around unarmed, while evil men and women are out there ready to harm you.

So the old saying still stands true, what is good for the goose is indeed good for the gander....especially when there are wolves hungrily circling the flock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. Keep it civil. I reserve the right to delete comments if necessary, but I do not like to do that so do not harass other readers and all will be well.

Spam is not tolerated, nor are assholes.