www.HyperSmash.com

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Gun Rights Could Stand More Limitations---This guy does not get it

Charles Winokoor, a staff writer for the Taunton Daily Gazette wrote the article "Gun Rights could stand more limitations" where he says the following
And that begs another question: Why in the world is anyone of any age without formal, military training allowed to shoot a machine gun at an outside range?

I know, I know. It’s our Second Amendment right to bear arms and protect ourselves and our property (”The British are coming, the British are coming!”), and God bless the National Rifle Association for going that extra mile to ensure our freedom to amass a personal arsenal and fire at will.

With apologies to the late Charlton Heston, I just don’t get it.


That is correct sir, you do not get "it". You want to know why we can amass a personal arsenal? The Founding Father's got "it" though.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson also said in a letter to John Catwright in 1824 "it is their (the people) right and duty to be at all times armed"

You see sir, being armed, and aptly armed is necessary for survival. Not from the British, as you jest, but from men who would just as soon kill you as order a burger from McDonalds. In a recent report that came out, the city I live in is one of the 100 most dangerous cities in nation to reside. That certainly is why I am allowed to amass a personal arsenal, because it my God given right and outlined in the Constitution to be able to protect myself and my family from men who are no better than animals, killing with disregard.

However, there is also always the threat of tyranny from government, and that too is the reason that the citizens of this country are allowed to amass a personal arsenal. We must remember that Hitler came to power while a Democracy was in place. I am not inferring that America will come to that, but it is always a real threat no matter where you live.

As for not being able to fire an automatic weapon without formal military training, I would say that even in the hands of a professional accidents happen. Formal military training is a drastic measure in terms of training. I am confident that I do not need military training in order to fire a weapon, but I would receive some sort of counsel in order to fire a weapon I am not familiar with. When I learned to fire a handgun, it was a police issue Glock .40, with a police officer friend. He showed me how the gun worked and how to shoot it safely. Note that I did not need formal police training, I did not have to go into the academy or become a police officer. No I simply learned informally how to fire a handgun.

Perhaps one day you will get it, and I hope it does not take a violent crime or a tyrannical government.

Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. Keep it civil. I reserve the right to delete comments if necessary, but I do not like to do that so do not harass other readers and all will be well.

Spam is not tolerated, nor are assholes.