www.HyperSmash.com

Monday, November 10, 2008

Embarking on a weight loss journey....again

© istockphoto.com

Quite some time ago I began a weight loss journey on this blog. Since that time I have failed to continue that journey. Today, however, I have decided that I have no choice but to do it again and get serious about it. The reasons are many at this point, my knees hurt, the driver's side seat belt in the car does not fit, causing me to drive without it, I just bought a new suit the other day and almost could not find one, I get winded going up a flight of steps and my back hurts after walking for 20 minutes or around there. On top of that I am getting married in 6 months and 6 days from now and I want to look good, and I want to be able to plan a honey moon accordingly. It is hard to plan a honeymoon when airplane rides are uncomfortable, both for me and the people in the seats next to me. Not mention that I must ask for a seat belt extender each and every time I board a plane. At this point I realize that my weight problem will prevent me from doing the majority of the things that I want to do in my life, and at 22 I have quite awhile to live without doing the things I want. I also believe that my weight is a contributing factor in the difficulties that I have in finding a job. People just do not want to hire heavy folks when dealing with the public. While this is my suspicion I obviously can not prove that. Finally, my weight is impeding my being able to effectively carry a firearm concealed, and that is crucial to the protection of myself, my fiance, and my family. It is all of these reasons that I am deciding to lose weight, and lose all of it this time.

So how the hell am I going to do it?

Well I have spent the last few weeks psyching myself up for it. Does it take a few weeks? Maybe, maybe not, but now I know I am ready, so a few weeks or a few minutes you will know.

Here is the game plan, I will use two separate "diets". I received both of them from my local hospital, it has one of the best cardiac units this side of the United States and is one of the top 100 hospitals in the country. The first one is 1600 calorie diet complete with a menu and a substitution guide so that you do not get diet fatigue with eating all of the same foods. The other diet goes by many names but I believe this one is the "Alabama Heart Diet" first used in the cardiac hospital there. It is also used at the local hospital here and is intended for obese patients who need to lose weight quickly in order to go to surgery, mostly heart surgery, as the name would suggest.

So how will I use them?

Simple.

The Heart Diet is to be used for 3 days and then you are supposed to eat normal for the rest of the days. Understand, that when they say normal, they mean healthy normal. If your normal is a whole pizza than we need to re-adjust what normal is lol. So for 3 days I will do the Heart Diet and then for the following 4 days I will use the 1600 calorie diet as my normal benchmark. Once I lose a substantial amount of weight I will shift away from the Heart Diet and use either the 1600 calorie diet or a 2000 calorie diet, depending on my activity level. Once I lose enough weight I plan on working out, mostly because I will be able to do so and hopefully enjoy it.

My only fear is this, when people lose a substantial amount of weight the skin usually does not come back close to the body and requires surgery. I am hoping that I am still young enough, and that my skin is still elastic enough that it will recover from the stretching. Somewhere in the back of my mind I know that it will probably require some sort of surgery but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Right now it is all about getting the weight off and keeping it off.

This morning I stepped on the scale and it was not as bad as I thought but was not too far off what I thought it was going to be. I will divulge my weight simply because I believe it will be helpful for me and possibly helpful for other people as well. While this blog will not turn into a weight loss blog I will use it periodically to make updates. So this morning when I stepped on the scale the little voice (it is electronic and talks to me) said 398.4 lbs. Yeah, tipping the scale just a a bit there, but I was expecting over 400 lbs, so 398.4 was not as bad as I thought.

Well here we go, if anyone else is going through the same thing let me know and I will offer the best support I can. Best wishes.

Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. Keep it civil. I reserve the right to delete comments if necessary, but I do not like to do that so do not harass other readers and all will be well.

Spam is not tolerated, nor are assholes.