www.HyperSmash.com

Monday, August 25, 2008

Life Update--Going to Nursing School



I have not actually blogged about my life in awhile, and considering the name of this blog, I think I should probably do that. For those of you who do not know, which is probably most of the people I know, I have decided to go back to school for nursing. Now I know what some of you thinking, "but you just graduated with a BA in Psychology, and the school you went to had a fantastic nursing program; why nursing school?" Well my dear friends that question has been asked and the answer is quite simple, college does not define the life you will live, it helps you to discover the possibilities of the life that you want. In May I received my BA in Psychology, and anyone who knows anything about Psychology degrees knows that the only thing I can do with a BA is to go further.

I previously thought I wanted to go into Industrial Organizational Psych, and then I took some classes and was bored with the material, furthermore the established folks in the field have a certain way of doing things, and no matter how asinine those may be they will keep doing it that way. When I realized IO Psych was not right for me and that I may want to do social work it was already too late to apply for graduate school, so I figured I would have some time to figure out exactly what I wanted to do.

In the course of figuring out how to keep Sallie Mae from raping and pillaging the village of my life, I learned that I could get a nursing degree from my local community college and do it by taking 4 prerequisites and than the required nursing programs. The nursing programs will take 2 years to complete. I have always loved the medical field and science and the like, Discovery Health channel is one of my favorite channels, and I have considered getting a nursing degree for quite some time. This seemed like a logical decision to me, not to mention that as an RN I would make a better starting salary than I would with a Master's in Social Work, and potentially a better long term salary than with a Master's in Social Work. I also believe that I would be great in the medical field and I trust in God that this is the right choice. I feel fairly content with this decision.

So in about 12 hours, as it is 1am and insomnia is continuing to plague me, I will begin nursing school, well I will actually begin the prereqs for nursing school. This semester I will be taking Biology (remember I already have a degree and most of those credits transferred) and I still have to take micro-biology, and Anatomy & Physiology I and II. Because Biology is a prereq for the other 3 classes I can only take biology for now. As my adviser put it, I am on a slow boat. If anyone knows the Olympic rowing team, I could use some help in speeding this boat up.

All in all I am happy with this decision. I just hope that I can kick the insomnia, I am not sure if it is going to be a blessing or a curse with nursing school.

In other news, I have a job interview on Tuesday, wish me luck.

Ok, life updates are over, back to regularly scheduled programming.

Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. Keep it civil. I reserve the right to delete comments if necessary, but I do not like to do that so do not harass other readers and all will be well.

Spam is not tolerated, nor are assholes.